About Joys and Trials

"Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me." ~Micah 7:8 (KJV)

Friday, October 21, 2011

Halloween Candy to Christmas Ornaments

Halloween is literally just around the corner, and while we are not planning to go trick or treating this year, I thought this was incredibly neat. I am thinking of just buying candy so I can do this, even though I doubt we'll have a Christmas tree as we have no room, I can decorate Mom's tree, since one of these years I will be taking "my" ornaments from her stash.
So after Halloween, take some of those left over hard candies, like Lifesavers, and lets make them into Christmas Ornaments. It's number 5 at the Science20 blog.

You will need:

Heavy metal cookie cutters (large copper ones are ideal)

Vegetable Spray

Lifesavers or other hard candy

Aluminum foil

Straw

Narrow shiny ribbon

Now:
   Preheat oven to 350°. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray cookie cutters and foil with vegetable spray. Fill cookie cutters with candy in a single layer using however many will fit inside.
   Bake 5 to 7 minutes until candies are melted.
Remove from oven and allow to cool about 2 minutes. Make a hole in each with a straw to thread the ribbon through for hanging, then continue cooling until the cutters can be handled. Gently pull the cutters away from candy ornament.
   Thread with ribbon, and your ready to hang them on your tree.


Though in my case, I think we'll make a garland out of them, and hang them up in the window. 

(As always, green text contains a link. There are several other ideas for candy at the site that are worth checking out, so go ahead! Enjoy!)



2 comments:

  1. Those are really neat! I have school and Robbie works on Halloween so no trick or treating or parties for us this year. I'm sure Emily would have a blast helping me with these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody suggested spraying them with a sealer so that they don't break down or rot. I wouldn't store them for the next year tho. They'd be fun for Ayla to chew on after we make them tho. ;)

    ReplyDelete