About Joys and Trials

"Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me." ~Micah 7:8 (KJV)

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Peppermint!

Second in posts about benefits and uses of certain items. Today's is peppermint. Another of my favorites!
Peppermint, like lemon, is great for the teeth. So I searched for lemon/peppermint toothpastes. No such luck, however, I did find a recipe for making your own at home from NourishingDays.com. I made myself some, and  have used it for several days. I'm liking it already. However, I don't recommend using a mouthwash such as Listerine and other such ones immediately after. I think something in the mouth was doesn't react well to the baking soda.
Not only is peppermint good for your teeth, it's good for pain relief. After all, Icy Hot and other such products have menthol in them. Rubbing properly diluted mint oil on your forehead is good for relieving headaches.
Peppermint teas can help ease a queasy stomach, great for pregnant women. It can also help ease the pain of menstrual cramps. It is recommended that nursing women avoid using mint, as it's said to decrease milk production.
Peppermint also acts as a stress reliever. In a study, peppermint oil applied to the forehead was found to be just as effective as ibuprofen and acetaminophen for relieving headaches.
Menthol is an expectorant too, the reason why it's put in Vick's and other chest rubs.

Organic Facts

Life Mojo

Learning Info



I've learned, that once I start a post I need to finish it same day, otherwise I lose and cannot find my train of thought. :( Will definitely try to do better with that. Apologies!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know those things. I'll have to look into making our own toothpaste, it would be much healthier and cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sarah, yeah. I think i pinned the one from the NourishingDays link. Mom says she could do with a little less salt, Ayla doesn't care for it just yet. Mint's a bit strong, but I love it! I'm definitely noticing a difference in the way my mouth feels, and a difference in the color of my teeth too. So glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greta post with lots of great information! I am Hopping by from Hop Along Friday! Following GFC now! Please come by http://kelleysnutrition.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete